A 16-year-old girl suffered minor burns while rescuing several pets from a kitchen fire that damaged her High Street home Tuesday morning, fire officials said.
At 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, 16-year-old Sara Robinson was cooking on the stove in the kitchen of 94 High St. when she went into another room in the house for a few minutes, according to a press release by Assistant Chief David Billings of Manchester Fire Rescue EMS.
When Robinson returned she discovered a fire on the stove, and suffered minor burns attempting to put it out. She was then able to exit the house with several of the family’s pets and called 911. The residents had many pets, including dogs, cats and birds; those that she was unable to remove from the burning house were later rescued by responding firefighters, Billings said.
Firefighters from Manchester Fire Rescue EMS and the Eighth Utilities District arrived on the scene at 10:35 a.m. and found that the fire had spread from the stove to the microwave and kitchen cabinets, with heavy smoke present throughout the house.
Firefighters used dry chemical extinguishers to control the fire, and then used thermal imaging cameras to check that it had not spread into the walls and ceiling of the kitchen. They then used mechanical ventilation to clear the smoke from the house, Billings said.
Robinson was treated for her minor burns at the scene, but did not require further medical treatment.
The Fire Marshal determined that the fire began after grease ignited in a pan on the unattended stove, Billings said.
The residents will be able to remain in the house while repairs to the kitchen are completed.