The first time I made this Sausage and Shrimp Pasta company stopped by and being Italian I needed to serve food. I had just made sausage the night before and had doubled the batch for another meal. I also had a bag of uncooked shrimp in my freezer and this dish easily and quickly came together.
You can use any pasta or even spaghetti squash or enjoy over roasted vegetables. Enjoy!Ingredients
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package (less 3 minutes) in a large salted pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and onions and cook, breaking the sausage up with a spoon and stirring the onions occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add in garlic and stir around.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, shrimp, peas, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque throughout and the sauce has slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain (reserve 1 cup of water) and add pasta in pot. Let continue cooking until your doneness. If the sauce it too think either add in more chicken broth or pasta water.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese then serve!