The application for a new Wal-Mart Superstore on Spencer Street is being revised in order to correct several engineering deficiencies before it is presented to the public next month.
The site for the proposed building is the former K-Mart location at 205 Spencer St. and calls for the construction of a 158,420 square-foot structure.
After planning staff reviewed of the initial application, several areas of deficiency were noted in the application, most having to do with engineering issues, according to Director of Neighborhood Services and Economic Development Mark Pellegrini.
"It's a major project, so issues like this are common. We are waiting to see the revised application," Pellegrini said.
Many of the department’s concerns involved the layout and design of the project, as well as storm drainage. Pellegrini expected to receive the revised application from Wal-Mart within a week for further review. The planning commission previously decided that the construction will not affect wetlands.
As with most projects of its size, the proposed Wal-Mart has attracted the attention of residents, some in support of the new store, and some opposed.
"It's a big project, and has attracted considerable attention from interested people, coming into the office to ask questions," Pellegrini said, adding "and we expected there to be interest."
Some residents have commented on earlier stories posted on the Manchester Patch, raising concerns about possible traffic issues and effect on current local businesses in the area. Others welcomed the store, believing the western side of town would be well served by the retailer and the taxable property would be a benefit for the town.
Manchester resident Bob Hetzel said the site would be better suited as a transportation hub, given its proximity to several intersecting highways. He envisions a commuter lot as well as intra-city bus routes to other cities and town in Connecticut. A project like that he said would be consistent with the Manchester 2020 transportation plan, but he thinks it is unlikely to be considered.
"At this point I think the die is cast, and Wal-Mart will go in there," he said.
The public will have the opportunity to speak about the project when Planning and Zoning opens a public hearing on the application, most likely at the Nov. 19 meeting, though no agenda has been posted.
The commission had previously approved a separate Wal-Mart application to expand its current Buckland Hills facility.